by T.A. Saunders ©2013 v1.0
- Derringer: A single shot, palm-sized pistol. These were favorite weapons for both ladies and assassins.
- Flintlock Pistol: A single shot, sometimes double shot pistol. A mainstay firearm in this time period.
- Pepper-Box: A multiple-barrel revolver. Some Pepper-Box rifles existed also.
- Colt Peacemaker: A six-shot revolver that became the mainstay pistol. Considered modern for the time.
Rifles and Shotguns
- Arquebus: A forerunner to the flintlock rifle. Considered antiquated for the time period.
- Blunderbuss: A muzzle-loading ancestor to the shotgun, these weapons are in wide use during this time.
- Musket: The replacement for the arquebus, the musket is considered antiqued by this time period.
- Flintlock Rifle: A single-shot, muzzle-loaded rifled barrel weapon that would replace the musket.
- Spencer Repeating Rifle: Considered new for the time period, it is the first to use rounds rather than shot.
- Volley Gun: A multi-shot weapon, these could take many forms, like the Pepper-Box and the Nock Gun.
- Coach Gun/Double-Barreled Shotgun: A close relative to modern shotguns, they are two-shot, break action weapons.
Cannons and Heavy Artillery
- Nine Pound Gun: The nine pound gun was a smooth-bore cannon. Considered antiquated.
- Twelve Pound Gun: The twelve pound gun is the replacement for the nine pound and is rifled.
- Carronade: These big cannons were often the mainstays aboard ships of war.
- Mitrailleuse: Considered the forerunner to the machine gun, the Mitrailleuse borrows its design from the Volley Gun.
- Lead Shot: The standard lead ball shot from most old style flintlocks and muzzle-loaders.
- Cartridge/Round: A combining of the bullet, gunpowder and primer; considered modern for the time.
- Round Shot: Otherwise known as the cannonball, these come in a variety of sizes.
- Chain Shot: Essentially two smaller cannonballs connected by a chain.
- Grape Shot: Simply metal slugs, shards of glass, nails and the like stuffed in a canvas bag and fired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.